Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Best Friends with Hannah Jayne


Today on the Bloggity Blog we're chatting with the gorgeous and fabulous Hannah Jayne. Hannah Jayne is a well loved romance author, and also a YA writer. Her debut YA novel, Truly, Madly Deadly comes out this July.  The cover is hot and I can't wait to read it.

I was lucky enough to meet Hannah last year at the Romance Writer's of America conference. She's one of those bubbly warm people you just immediately love. We bonded over talks about spanks and young adult novels we love! So now, here's YOUR chance to chat about teen best friends.



Did you have a best friend in high school? If you did, are you still in touch?

HJ: Yes! My best friend, Jen, and I were co-captains of our high school cheerleading squad. We lost touch a bit after high school, but found each other again just before she got married. That was eleven years and three kids ago!

You were a high school cheerleader co-captain? How much do I LOVE that? So you're no longer carrying pom poms so what do you miss most about the best friend?

HJ: We see each other a lot less since we no longer have daily cheerleading practice! She used to be my daily ounce of calm. Now, since she's the one with the husband and kids, I get to do that for her -- but a lot less frequently. 

Did you ever have a big fight? What was it about? How did you resolve it?

HJ: Neither of us were huge fighters, but I "re" started dating an ex boyfriend my senior year in high school. She was deathly against him and it caused a huge rift in our relationship. Then, I thought it was because she wasn't supporting me; twenty years later I know it was because she was completely right (he was horrible), and I knew it, but I just didn't want to see it.

What do they say? Hind sight is 20/20.  Re-dating  ex's is rarely a good thing, right? If you never fight, what’s something your best friend did for you, that probably no other person would do.

HJ: She was the only person in my life to cut out all the niceties and say, "you're in a bad relationship. Get out or I'm gone." And then she followed through. It sounds terrible, like she abandoned me, but it was the best thing. I was (am) the kind of stubborn, hard-headed person who needs serious action and follow through to get a message.
 
Yeah and she sounds pretty amazing to know that and give it to you! So. Did you have a favorite song, or a favorite place where you hung out?

HJ: We're local San Jose girls, so back in high school, the place to hang out was "haunted" Hick's Road. There was supposed to be an abandoned insane asylum up there where a few of the crazies still resided, along with albinos, witches, Satan worshipers and choice rabid animals. No one ever went to the top of the road to check out the legends -- except, of course, for someone's sister's roommate who came back white-haired and catatonic and was never able to say what she saw...

Yeah. I would never go there. Like ever. So. What did you and your best friend most love to do?

HJ: We were pretty nerdy! Our main activities were watching cheer competitions while eating cheesecake, hanging out in the back of Kevin Kwan's Thunderbird while listening to Prince, and talking about guys. Now, since we're adults, we got to New Kids on the Block concerts together, eat cheesecake, and talk about guys.

I love that! So what did you love most about you teenage best friend?

HJ: She was crazy and fearless. She taught me how to drive my own car -- even though she didn't get her license until 2 years after I got mine!

What did you learn from your best teen friend?

HJ: Besides how to use a gear shift, I learned that being afraid of everything in your past would never drive you forward.

Are your relationships with friends different at this stage in your life? How?

HJ: Yes and no. Humor and eating are still huge in my relationships (what can I say? I'm Italian!), but our being fearless has taken on completely different forms. Fearlessness in high school was asking a guy out; fearlessness now is quitting a solid career to follow a dream.

Definitions do change, but attitude doesn't. So good for you. Thanks so much for stopping by for a chat!!

 She thought it was a coincidence.
 She was wrong.
      

Truly, Madly, Deadly --coming July 2013

Sawyer Dodd has it all. She's a star track athlete, choir soloist, and A-student. And her boyfriend is the handsome all-star Kevin Anderson. But behind the medals, prom pictures, and perfect smiles, Sawyer finds herself trapped in a controlling, abusive relationship with Kevin. When he dies in a drunk-driving accident, Sawyer is secretly relieved. She's free. Until she opens her locker and finds a mysterious letter signed by "an admirer" and printed with two simple words: "You're welcome."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment